Monday, June 16, 2008

yay, high school!

One of Dr. Miller's cohorts talked on Friday about his upcoming HS reunion, and it reminded me of mine. Well, the lack of it, actually. So I'm going to totally bite off of his style and talk about it too.

I graduated in '90, and was glad it was over with just like most everyone else. The dude who was the class historian, Sean, was a good friend of mine and a real stand up guy. He was however a decent bullshit artist and not a really an academic/brown noser type. I think he signed up for the office just for the resume fodder, and never really planned on doing the various stupid duties that came with it. Who can blame him, class historian, what a joke. So the 10 year anniversary of all our departures came and went with no mention of the reunion at all, which I really didn't care one way or the other about. One of our central friends always threw a great xmas party that was well attended by the old group, so that was a better way to keep in touch anyway.

That winter I went home for the holidays and went to the xmas party, and ran into an old friend who told me she went to the reunion. I was pretty confused how she could have, and made her explain the whole deal to me.

Apparently one of the academic/brown noser types figured there was going to be no official reunion and organized one herself. I don't really understand why one would do such a thing, but my guess is she just wanted to get a few old friends together and grab some drinks. Thats fine, but why not just get a few old friends together and grab some drinks.?Why call it some sort of pseudo-official function that brings dread to so many?

Anyway, the event was thrown together sorta quick and not too many people were invited. It was held at a bar that was a bad idea in and of itself. There used to be this really huge shitkicker bar that could hold something like 1000 drunk cowboy wannabees. Oddly Sean had worked security at the place in the past and it sounded like a nightmare, as you might expect. In one corner of this shithole was a 'nightclub' with velvet rope, dress code, and everything. Seems like the later 90s was the time for bad club ideas to filter from the coasts into the heartland, and someone decided that these two opposing terrible ideas spelled gold when put in the same space.

The resultant reunion party turned out to be only girls, 5-10 of them, in one group going into hicksville for cocktails. If my recollection is correct the evening consisted of a little bit of shouted chit-chat, a lot of turning dudes down, and an early night.

I'm pretty glad I missed my 'reunion'.

No comments: